Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Why I Love the Hill Cumorah Pageant

People sometimes wonder why I love participating in the Hill Cumorah Pageant so much. As I near the beginning of my fourth pageant I decided to think through this idea myself. While I know I DO love it, what exactly about it do I find so addictive?

1.     The Community Feel: I enjoy working together as a team for a common goal at pageant. In the largest sense it seems a miracle that the cast of 700 can pull together the show in six days. It is stunning to see 7,000 chairs set up in neat lines in a matter of hours. But on a more direct scale it was thrilling to be a flag bearer in the processional and to see all of our flags waving in precision to the trumpets. Even small things like being on the assembly line at dinner or washing the trays can be fun when there’s a sense of teamwork and togetherness. Our funnest year yet was when we camped in Zion’s Camp adjacent to the performance area of the Hill. Every evening we’d have Munch N’ Mingle right before bed which is where snacks were served for all 350 people. Worker bees would make brownies, or popcorn, or vegetables and dip, or Chex Mix appear on picnic tables under the pavilion for all those camping there and we’d chat before crashing for the night. Then we’d see “Mormon” head off to his camper across the path and “Samuel the Lamanite” turn into his tent. It truly was a Zion, community feel.

2.     A Huge Dose of the Spirit: I never went to EFY as a teenager. I don’t even think they had it back then. I did go to Youth Conference but that felt like it was more about the dances than the inspirational speakers. Though I have been blessed to feel the spirit strongly at different moments in my life—for instance during blessings, in the temple, and communing with nature—participating in pageant has been the most sustained fever-pitch experience I have ever had with feeling the spirit. Frankly, that is addictive to me. One of my very favorite moments of pageant is the last scene when Christ appears lit up at the top of the hill. On the very front of the stage the character who plays Joseph Smith is saying through the narration:

And now after the many testimonies which have been given of Jesus Christ this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of Him, that He lives. Listen to the words of Moroni written in this book, “Remember what you have seen and heard for the time is quickly coming when ye shall see me at the throne of God and the Lord will say to you, ‘Did I not declare my words unto you that were written by this man?’ The Savior will return. Soon He will be here.

Then the Tabernacle Choir crescendos wildly singing “Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess” while His white robes are blowing in the breeze. The first year we were in it, 2008, Lily and I would stand up at the half way point of the hill because Ken was in the Hall of the Prophets and just before this narration Joseph Smith named the six prophets who had been highlighted during the pageant with Moroni being one of them. The spotlight would focus on them in their “famous” pose. For instance Samuel the Lamanite has his large staff overhead. Ken stood over the large rock. Almost the entire cast would be cleared off the hill by this point of the night and be in the dressing rooms changing so the hill was quiet.

Lily was two and liked to see her dad in this finale seen. We would stand right next to the stairs that “Jesus” would climb up climb up in the dark and though we would see him from behind for this dramatic “The Savior will return. Soon He will be here” it was incredibly dramatic to be so close—some of the only ones up there. When he’d come down if Lily wasn’t being shy he would touch her hand or head as he passed by. There’s something about that. While he was playing a character the feelings were inspiring and so real to me.

In 2009 I still had a desire to see this closing scene but from the front this time. I would come through the trees and sit just on the inside of the front curtain every night so I could see Christ on the hill. This was one of the hardest things about being cast in the Joseph Smith scene in 2010. I had to face outward toward the crowd while Joseph spoke and could not look back at Jesus Christ on the hill. I’m looking forward to renewing my vigil this year.

But back to my point: I like to feel the spirit at pageant.

3.     Making a Pilgrimage: with the Sacred Grove being where the First Vision occurred and the Hill Cumorah where the plates were buried and the Smith Log Home where the Angel Moroni appeared and the Grandin Press where the Book of Mormon was printed, coming to Palmyra is a pilgrimage. “a journey, especially a long one, made to some sacred place as an act of religious devotion to pay homage.”

4.      A Sense of Nostalgia: Because my father was in the mission presidency that covered the Hill Cumorah area in the late 60s, I grew up attending pageant every year—first with my family and later with friends. In 1969 several of my siblings were members of the cast and, so I’ve been told, President Harold B. Lee thought I was a cute baby and asked to hold me before the show. I feel like my earliest memory of is when I was about three and seeing the angel trumpeters light up at the top of the hill at the very beginning of the show, desperately wishing I could be one of them one day. One year as teenagers several of us from the ward came in the Burgi’s Loctite van, watched the show from the lawn, and camped overnight. 1998 was the first time we came as the Brady Family. Sam had his 8th birthday right on the hill. This was the first time it really sunk into me that we could apply to be in the cast but it took several applications and rejections before we were accepted ten years later. Now we have had three great years in the pageant. All of these experiences are melded together in my mind and enrich each moment there.

      It is now only a few days away from being at the Hill again. I am thrilled and so grateful for this fantastic experience. While it involves incredibly long hours, sore muscles, hard work, hot days, and a sacrifice of time, there is nowhere in the world I would rather be. 

No comments: