Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Wind Blows the Sail, The Sea Holds Us Up: HCP Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, What Day Is It?!

Several exciting things happened with Lily's Christ Descension scene. First of all, she got her costume! They handed her the costume but she pick out her own headband and sash. She really loves it as you can tell from her smile:


Emma and I are in what's called "The Tableau of War and Peace." There are 40-50 men and women in this and we represent the 200 years of peace after Christ left and then how the people eventually degenerated into war. Because we are on Stage 1--the furthest forward, middle stage--for this, we are here for the Discension as well. So this means we have a front row seat for the primary kids coming to Christ. Ken is just behind us on the grass.

The first time they blocked the scene, Lily told me afterward that she was hoping Chad would touch her hand. She said she thought if she willed it hard enough in her mind it would happen. But no luck. By the next night she had pretty much given up on the idea by virtue of her placement on the stage. She is on the far side of the stairs so it's a bit of a reach. We practiced the scenes about four times total but the second time through it, Chad came over to her, picked up her hand off her lap, and squeezed it. I thought she would be glowing with happiness but when she turned around her face was completely blank. After, she told me she was in total shock! The funniest part came the next time we ran through the scene because she was reaching her arm as far as it would go over the stairs to be sure he touched it again. It was very cute and after the scene was all done and I could talk to her it was fun to see her floating on Cloud 9.

In addition to being a Harvest Worker, Emma is a Campfire Dancer. She gets to dance around a REAL fire doing cool lunge movements in a circle with these lovely lades:



She also gets to nurse a wounded warrior, only to have him die about a minute and a half later when a wave of Lamanites hit the stage:


On Monday we did a full run through of the show and when we weren't on stage we got to watch from the bowl.



This was great but we don't have much time for sitting. For instance, this is my tracking of the show.

1. Ken, Lily and I start on the far left side of the bowl for the Processional. We enter at the stage are but then circle around through the trees in order to enter by the south side area, pretty much running the whole time to make it on time.
2. Ken takes Lily first while I cross over the top of stage 7 (so steep!), get my planting tool for the Harvest scene) and wait to enter from the north side.
3. Immediately as I come off stage I look through a sea of about 60 people to find Ken and Lily (who have also crossed over stage 7 by this point). I take Lily and Ken goes on stage for the King Noah scene. Lily and I return my tool the prop shop.
4. Lily and I then cross back over stage 7 so I can drop her off with her partner Caroline who brings her to the Christ Descension scene.
5. I then cross back over stage 7 very quickly because they close this cross over point after the Alma scene so that no one will be there when Chad goes up on the lift.
6. I then enter on the north side for Descension, staying on for Tableau.
7. I go back up to the top of stage 7 and meet Ken and Lily there so we can go back to the north to change out of our costumes.

It's not surprising that pageant is over in a snap with all that activity! I still had some amazing views last night even though I was busy. I watched King Noah from the very top of the hill. I saw Abinidi burning!. Lehi's family is on the boat just before I enter so I can see this SO up close. Emma's friend is Hill Moroni and I had a fantastic view of him burying the plates. Still, by FAR my best view is of the primary children in the Christ scene. Literally front row center. I can't wait for this tonight when everyone has their costumes on and Chad has his beard and wig on.

We've done plenty of fun things in primary. Lily made a nifty sword:


We learned neat visuals to help us memorize the Ten Commandments from Abinadi's speech.
1. God is #1 and no one is ahead of Him.
2. A curved snake like the top of 2 reminds you not to have a graven image or any other god's before God.
3. Three on its side looks like lips  and you should not take God's name in vain.
4. 4 on its side looks like a church pew and you should keep the Sabbath Day holy.
5. 5 flipped over looks like a wheel chair and you should be kind to your old, feeble parents.
6. 6 SORT OF looks like a gun (sort of a stretch but I still remember it) and you shouldn't kill.
7. A bed with a pillow and as George in primary said "There had better not be any other woman in your bed but your wife!"
8. Handcuffs and if you steal you'll get cuffed and brought to jail.
9. A gavel and you can't lie in court
10. We saw a picture of a fancy sports car with a 10 on a the license plate. We should be happy with what we have.

Another fun thing was the actors playing King Noah and Abinadi came in and talked to the kids. This was very interesting to me. Abinadai said when he reviews the ten commandments he tells each one to a specific person like he emphasizes murder to King Noah and adultery to the priests. He talks about the Sabbath to Alma because he senses that Alma is already starting to feel the spirit. I'm really going to watch for this tonight. Abinadi has the most lines in pageant! King Noah died his goatee black for the part and Abinidai puts a paste in his hair and beard each night to make it look more grey. Abigail said to him, "But you ALREADY look soooo old!" (He's probably 45.)


The kids asked some great questions, for instance "What is your favorite moment on stage?" I loved Abinadi's: "I love it when I realize Alma believes me. When he starts to run I cheer in my heart, 'Go Alma, go!'"

We've had some rollercoasters of wheather--microbursts and then some heat but overall things have been lovely--SO much cooler than 2010.



I must say I am THRILLED to be in primary with the animal bead-making, sword-yielding, work crew piggyback-riding, little people. And I LOVE my two parts in the Harvest scene and Tableau because I am with such lovely people (ok, I also happen to be on stage one, front row center for both of these parts but I only mention that because you twisted my arm). But I do have one complaint about pageant (other than being a bit tired). It is going too fast.



1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Jane, my brother Doug is in the audience tonight. He wants you to find him. He's got a multicolored umbrella. --Yvonne Gillespie