On Monday we actually got a bit of time off which was very nice. Ken and I were able to go to the Palmyra Temple in the morning. The temple was opened just for cast members and not everyone who had a desire was able to go so we felt lucky. Ken heard from someone that the temple does a large percentage of its names during the two weeks of pageants and that many temple workers come from all over the country to keep up with the demand. We weren't able to get in for a session but got on the list for initiatories which in some ways I enjoy even more so I was quite happy.
I was tremendously excited to see the stained glass windows which Tom Holdman created and that I've personally heard him explain about. It was wonderful to see the First Vision window up close. Here is a website which shows several of the windows: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/5539/palmyra.html
One unusal thing about this temple is that after you go past the recommend desk the baptistry is right there in the open off to your right! So you can just stand there and watch them doing baptisms. Originally Sam and McKenna did not make the list of getting to do baptims but because I have a little bit of Don Brereton in me I found out who on staff was in charge of coordinating with the temple and tried to find out if there was any way we could get in. They got me the direct phone number to the temple and suggested I quickly call and try to get in as a family before they announced that number to all of the cast. I called right away and we got in for Thursday morning!
Because the font is so centrally located, Sam and McKenna will get to see the First Vision window and what is referred to as the Hinckley Windows, the three panes of glass that President Hinckley had installed in what was to be a solid wall but where he wanted everyone to be able to see the Sacred Grove.
In the afternoon we went to the Grandin Press. Here is a website that shows it: http://www.josephsmith.lds.org/josephsmith/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=6d0968f0374f1010VgnVCM1000001f5e340aRCRD&vgnextfmt=tab3 We had a quite exceptional sister missionary as our guide. One thing I found quite impressive was how many original works of art were there! There were so many Del Parsons and CCA Christensens and Tom Lovells.
The most memorable thing our tour guide said, however, was something I had been unaware of. Grandin was only in the publication business for five years and much of those were spent printing the Book of Mormon. He didn't begin his own business until the spring of 1828 and he started publishing the BofM in 1829. By 1833 he moved onto other careers such a a butcher but he died at age 39. The tour guide made the point of how amazing it is that God puts people in the right place at the right time. Hardly anyone would touch the BofM with a ten foot pole. It was a risky financial venture since Joseph Smith wanted it hardbound (to show how valuable it was). It cost the equivalant of two full day's wages or over $300 today and was thousands of dollars to print. Plus it was a social risk and even physical risk considering how many people were against it. But Grandin is one person who was willing and he was also able for that small window of time.
I have had that same sense of being in the right place at the right time as I mingle around in the crowd before the show each night. There are thousands and thousands of people in attendance but I always see people I know and it feels meant to be--like they are placed in my path. Last week I saw Laura Selin Gillespie from Schenectady ward which was such a surprise to me. I had no idea she was coming. She knew I was in it, though, and was keeping an eye out for me. Her little girl's name is Selina!
I have also seen the Chauftys and Dalrymples from Schenectady ward. They were both so excited to see me and both SO complimentary about mom and dad. Pat Dalrymple nearly started to cry when she talked about how kind mom was to her and how much she missed her. (Chris, she said that Scott just got married when he turned 40 and now has a one-year-old!)
Today I also met someone who knew Uncle Clair Comish so that was odd and fun. He grew up in Smithfield just a few miles away from Franklin and went to highschool with Clair and has met my great grandpa George Comish! How weird is that that I would randomly strike up a conversation in the crowd with someone who knew MY great grandfather!!
">I'd better explain the other pictures quickly because I'm suddenly completely exhausted and about ready to fall into a heap on top of the computer. 1. Laura, Selina, Jane, Lily 2. Paige and McKenna (look alike cousins
No comments:
Post a Comment